[Sca-cooks] Required courses for RUM degrees

Solveig nostrand at acm.org
Fri May 14 10:14:27 PDT 2004

Noble Cousin!

Greetings from Solveig!

>Paul Bruel? Don't you mean Paul Buell? And I don't think that would
>apply because this is an SCA "thing", and Paul is not part of the
>SCA, except periphally.

Sorry for misquoting his name. The point is not whether or not Paul Buell
is or is not part of the Society, but whether or not what he has accomplished
qualifies as being adequate for one of these "degrees". My problem with these
"degree" requirements is the extent to which they appear to build in and
insist upon non-period SCA frippery. The point is not whether Paul Buell
the man exhibits sufficient engagement with the Society to qualify for one
of these "degrees", but whether or not his scholarly accomplishment does.
In my opinion, any "lack of scholarly accomplishment" attributed to Paul
Buell by these proposed standards is a failing in the standards.

If you want to discuss some other cookery scholar fine. I can suggest
several. Let's talk about Terence Scully instead.
--

					Your Humble Servant
					Solveig Throndardottir

| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS   |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est       |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:bnostran at lynx.neu.edu       |