[Sca-cooks] Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Required courses for RUM degrees

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri May 14 12:26:35 PDT 2004

M. Traber wrote:

>*sigh* why would i want or need another cookie?
>
>not that i object to taking classes, i love taking classes and researching,
>but *why* add another chachka for people to say but you *don't* have a
>_______, why should you matter.
>
>heck, i barely have any rewards in the sca as i refuse to deal with
>politics in the manner which was considered proper, and as a result had
>serious problems in atlantia which kept me from getting anything above
>baronial level *despite* ken and barbie requesting awards for me for a
>number of years. same in east kingdom, which is why i am going to leave the
>sca otehr than this list and pennsic [though it is getting really tempting
>to bag pennsic too for a number of reasons.]

This is very sad.  I read it basically like a statement saying "I don't like
the way you play so I'm taking my toys and going home".
What ever was the compelling reason you joined the SCA in the first place?
Does that simply not "do" anything for you any longer?  Pretty much I
believe I can say that not one of us *joined* just to get rewards or awards.
  mmm, perhaps I shouldn't say rewards.  The reward is getting to do or try
or learn or experience the facination that drew us in in the first place.
The SCA is not a competition, like a horse race.  Nor is it a school that
gives you a pass/fail grade.  More likely, for many, it is the place of life
and freedom from the drudgery of the highly competitive, over-stressful
mundane world.  Bringing those mundane mileposts into the SCA life is
certainly understandablel, but my question is really, why bother?
IMO, having the oppourtunity to learn and play and develop and create a
'family' of my own choosing is so very worth every second I spend in the
SCA.  What a perfect venue to do what I love to do best; surprize and please
someone(s).   If someone deems to drop a shiny bobble on me, well, that's
neat, and the work on the scroll is certainly an art to be appreciated, but
I'm really just here to enjoy and play.
Of course, every person and their needs are as differing as night and day.
I am glad to hear you are staying here with us on the list.  We would
certainly miss you if you weren't.
Olwen