[Sca-cooks] Jams and Jellies in period

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun May 16 07:01:12 PDT 2004

Was written:

> >From "A Proper Newe Booke of Cokerye" [circa
> 1557-1558]:

I've translated this line by line as follows:

> ¶. For to make wardens in Conserue.
    For to make pears in a conserve
> Fyrste make the syrope in this wyse,
First make a syrup in this wise
> take a quarte of good romney and putte a
take a quart of good romney and put a
> pynte of claryfyed honey, and a pounde or a
a pint of clarified honey and a pound or a
> halfe of suger, and myngle all those
half pound of sugar, and mingle all those
> together over the fyre, till tyme they
togeather over the fire, until they
> seeth, and then set it to cole. And thys
Seeth (boil?) and then set to cool.  And this
> is a good sirope for manye thinges, and
is a good syrup for many things, and
> wyll be kepte a yere or two. Then take
will keep a year or two.  Then take
> thy warden and scrape cleane awaye the
the pears and scrape away their
> barke, but pare them not, and seeth
peel, but leave them whole and seeth (boil?)
> them in good redde wyne so that they
them in good red wine so that they
> be wel soked and tender, that the wyne be
are well permeated and tender, the wine is
> nere hande soked into them, then take and
permeated in to the pears, then take and
> strayne them throughe a cloth or through
strain the pears through a cloth or through
> a strayner into a vessell, then put to them
a strainer into a vessel, then put over them
> of this syrope aforesayde tyll it be almost
the syrup previously mentioned until the almost
> fylled, and then caste in the pouders, as
full and then put in as powders
> fyne canel, synamon, pouder of gynger
fine canel, cinnamon, powder of ginger
> and such other, and put it in a boxes and
and such other, and put it in boxes and
> kepe it yf thou wylt and make thy
keep it if as you will and make the
> syrope as thou wylt worke in
syrup as you would to work in
> quantyte, as if thou wylt
in quantity so that if you would
> worke twenty wardens
work 20 pears
> or more or lesse as
or more or less
> by experience.
by experience

I've a few questions:

It does not seem as if the syrup is reduced very much but just brought to a boil?

"good romney"
I think that this is a wine but is it red or white, sweet or dry? What would be a good modern reasonable substitution?

"fyne canel, synamon, pouder of gynger and such other"
I thought that canel and cinamon were essentially the same spice?  What other spices might be added?  I can think of clove, nutmeg and/or mace and cardamon but I'm not sure if cardamon is period.

Daniel