[Sca-cooks] Another look at a Florilegium entry...

Patricia Collum pjc2 at cox.net
Sun May 16 16:44:18 PDT 2004

Well, I spent some time going through Ann Hagan's Anglo-Saxon Food and
Drink. It lists horse as a taboo food, likely to only be eaten in times of
want or dearth, such as the time right after the battle of Hastings. Eating
horses was also linked to pagan custom and discouraged by the church, as was
the maiming of horses. It lists the part about German's being discouraged
from their custom of eating horses, and that horses as food were also linked
to Danish custom. Horses were considered too valuable even from a political
and tactical standpoint to be used as food unless no other source of food
was available.

Cecily