[Sca-cooks] Jams and Jellies in period

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun May 16 18:08:35 PDT 2004

--- Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:
> Uhm...I've never been quite sure, are wardens
> pears or apples?
> And is the "romney" a type of wine? The only
> reference to it that I know
> is the sheep! ;o)
> --maire

Wardens are pears.  Romney is a sweet wine.
Probably a Rhenish or Rhine wine, so therefore
a sweet, white wine.

Well, _my_ first thought was "The Scarecrow of
Romney Marsh", as story that I loved in my
childhood ... and still do.  I even have a copy
of the originaly book the story came from:

Thorndike, Arthur Russell, 1885-
Doctor Syn; a smuggler tale of the Romney Marsh,
by Russell Thorndyke. Garden City, N.Y.,
Doubleday, Page, 1915.
vi, 301 p. front. 20 cm.

OP for us, but a wonderful tale of highwaymen
and smugglers in the late 18th century.

Huette the nostalgic ...

=====
shall never cease to be amused.