[Sca-cooks] Meringues?

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue May 18 12:28:34 PDT 2004

I used a similar one from "Fooles and Fricasses" which was published by
the Folger Shakespeare Library...I'm including a copy of it below,
alongwith my redaction.  In this one, the almonds work as a binder as
the flour did in the one Adamantius cited.  I've done this a number of
times and have always received great comments about them!

p.       19, Mrs Sarah Longe her Receipt Booke [c. 1610] from Fooles and
Fricassees:  Food in Shakespeare's England (Published by the Folger
Shakespeare Library, Washington, DC, 1999)

 Take a pound of Almons, blanch them, then beate them in a morter [;]
then put in a little rosewater to them, that they may not turn to an
Oyle in their beating; when they are beaten very small take them up and
put them into a Dish [;] then take half a pound of sugar beaten very
small and put to them the whites of 4 Eggs, with a little Quantity of
musk, and Ambergrease [;] then beat it altogether a quarter of an hour,
then put it upon papers in what fashion you will.  You must be careful
in the making of it, that it be not coloured to[o] much.

Redaction--Minowara Kiritsubo  (makes about 4 ½ dozen cookies)

2 cups blanched almonds
1/2 teaspoon rose water
1 cup sugar
4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

 1.     Grind almonds in a mill or food processor.  Add the rosewater to
keep them from getting oily.
2.     Add sugar, egg whites and almond extract and blend thoroughly in
the food processor.
3.     Put teaspoonfuls of the batter onto a greased cookie sheet.
4.     Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.  Be very careful to check the
bottoms of the
cookies as they tend to get too brown.  The cookies should be VERY
lightly "coloured" as the recipe above states.

 Notes:

I added almond extract to intensify the almond flavor.  This is a
slightly perfumed taste and would, I believe, approximate the ambergris
and/or musk the recipe called for.  I was unable to locate either of
these ingredients.  Also, I've heard differing opinions on the safety of
cooking with these ingredients so prefer to stay away from them.

Kiri

--
Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.