[Sca-cooks] Dayboard-like Fighter Food

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu May 20 18:49:33 PDT 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Thus this is a long-winded way of asking for suggestions, pointers,
> etc. so that at least a few of the bumps in the road can be smoothed
> out a bit.
>
> I have not yet checked the Florilegium, although I certainly will.
>
> Any other hints, warnings, etc. are welcome.
>
> Anahita

Hard boiled eggs and fruit- anything of that nature that's easy for them to
grab one of and munch on. If you pre-wash it and keep it reasonably cool,
it's easy to deal with- and you need to keep in mind that since you're new
to this, you don't need to get in over your heads while you're figuring out
what works.

Also, quartered whole dill pickles- you can usually save money by buying
Omigawd sized jars and quartering them yourself.

Bread is always good- limit your prep to slicing fairly thick slices shortly
before and during serving, so people don't make off with half a loaf and
throw most of it away.

Herbed and plain butters, with a reasonable knife attached for spreading.
Herbed soft cheeses. If you duct tape the real metal, spreading knives to
the serving bowls, they aren't breaking the plastic ones and dipping their
fingers and whatever in, and you have a fair chance of going home with as
many knives as you started with.

As you get more into it, pasties in one serving sizes.

Andrea served some lovely pickled herring that she picked up in jars for our
dayboard- might be something you might want to try, at some point.

Considering where you are, if you have a heat source, you might come up with
stacls of soft tortillas, and stuph- refried beans, ground spiced meat, and
a few bits of dress up- some lettuce, grated cheese, chopped onions, and
salsa. You can also duct tape spoons that make a reasonable serving size to
those bowls. Not particularly period, but they should be something fairly
familiar to the fighters for a snack.

Jadwiga can tell you some of the more creative possibilities, but first you
need to familiarize both them and yourselves to the concept.

Trash cans nearby- lotsa trash cans kept empty- people WILL actually pick up
after themselves, if given a convenient way to do so. Also, lotsa cheap
napkins- paper towels work, but it's been my observation that the rolls fall
down, go wandering, or encourage users to grab off ten where 1 or 2 would
do.

Other than that, keep hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.