[Sca-cooks] Dayboard-like Fighter Food

Kathleen A. Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Fri May 21 07:11:27 PDT 2004

--On Friday, May 21, 2004 9:45 AM -0400 kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:

> The two big field-side cooling foods generally served here are orange
> wedges and pickle slices, both chilled.  At the event I was at in South
> Georgia two weeks ago, several ladies picked up the trays and walked
> around the field offering cold pickle slices and orange slices to those
> sitting watching the fighting as well as the fighters themselves.  It was
> very hot, and that pickle was one of the best I'd had in a long time

yes, that is how we do it in the sunny outlands.   oranges and pickles.  we
actually got the pickle idea from ansteoran/calontiri waterbearers at one
estrella.  the fighting guys and gals were eloquent about the pickles.
even had a poem written about them (since lost, but probably knocking about
yers trooly's study somewhere)

Many were the mem'ries that I brought back from that war.
But best, the waterbearers, and the pickles that they bore.

cailte
getting ready for a pickle and orange-smile laden event next weekend
''Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy.''
                                                        W.B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Administrative Asst. II
UNM Freshman Admissions