[Sca-cooks] Dayboard-like Fighter Food

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 12:20:24 PDT 2004

>FRUIT: Is it better to have whole apples and pears or to halve or slice
>them? If slices - how small or large?

Sliced or cubed. Remember you want food that is no work to
eat. I would grab a couple of apple slices long before I'd grab a
whole apple.

>GRANOLA: How do they eat it? Like trail mix, out of hand? Or in paper cups,
>poured down the throat?

Paper cups would be nice. But all you really need is a handful, so either
way.

>HARD COOKED EGGS would be peeled ahead of time. I think it's really too
>much to ask the fighters to peel them.

Definately.

>In some message people suggested carrying around trays of stuff (pickles,
>orange wedges, olives...) to resurrection points. I hadn't thought of
>that... good suggestion. At Ren Fair, we are also served olives when we are
>at stops in the Procession, along with water and pickles, so we'll probably
>have some as well.

I like that idea. Food-bearers, so to speak, will be very nice. Fighters
that
won't make the effort to go get something will readily grab a bit if
offered to them.

>We're going to have a clear broth, probably homemade chicken soup. So we'll
>have the meat left over, off the bone.

Sounds good.

>>I don't recommend spicy foods like summer sausage or pepperoni.
>
>Why not? I was imagining some nice garlicy dry salami. That's a bad idea?

The main thing to think about with these foods is what will you feel like
after you have eaten them. Eat a few slices of salami and then run in
place for 5 or 10 minutes. Try this with most of the foods you are
planning on. See which have unpleasant after effects.

>But i don't quite understand the taping the knives to the bowls. If they're
>taped to the bowls, how can they be used?

Um...yeah. I didn't get this one either.  :-)

>Yeah, we know many fighters don't eat while fighting. But in my experience,
>some don't eat before either, which to me seems a bit foolish -

I can relate. My traditional tourney breakfast is a cup of coffee and
a fried apple pie. Maybe a banana or something halfway through the day.
Not bright, I know, but stickjocks ain't know for their mental capacities.

>that September, when this war will be, is generally the hottest month of
>the year here.

If it's hot, the appitites will be low as well.

>Thanks for the thoughts so far. I await more wisdom. Oh, yeah, and it
>sounds like mustard isn't a good idea...

This may sound weird, but I have no problem with a bit of mustard.
As long as you aren't eating tablespoons of the stuff, a smear of mustard
on a piece of roast beef is actually rather nice when fighting.

Also, although I love melons, watermelon and cantelope may fall into
the questionable category. First, they are kind of sticky and the other
thing is, if you do the jog in place test, after a bit you are burping
melon essence.

As for the pies, very nice, but be sure they don't fall apart when eaten
out of hand. This is almost a case where a pizza-like dish would work
better.
Think of eating a meat pie while wearing armor. If the pie doesn't crumble
or fall apart it would be wonderful. If it does, you may look for something
else. If stuff does fall apart, make sure it lasts just one or two bites.

Another nice dish would be dolmades, come to think of it.

BTW, for all of my kvetching and warnings, please accept my thanks as a
fighter
that you are doing this. It's a wonderful idea.

>Anahita

Yers,

Gunthar