[Sca-cooks] Dayboard-like Fighter Food

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri May 21 22:25:32 PDT 2004

Phlip made some comments about utensils for serving food to fighters on
the field:
> Herbed and plain butters, with a reasonable knife attached for
> spreading.
> Herbed soft cheeses. If you duct tape the real metal, spreading knives
> the serving bowls, they aren't breaking the plastic ones and dipping
> their
> fingers and whatever in, and you have a fair chance of going home with
> as
> many knives as you started with.

> You can also duct tape spoons that make a reasonable serving size to
> those bowls. Not particularly period, but they should be something
> fairly
> familiar to the fighters for a snack.

Huh? Do you mean duct tape something like one end of a piece of string
to the utensil and duct tape the other end of the string to the utensil
or table? If you duct tape the utensil directly to the dish, I can see
where that would keep them from walking off, but it would also seem to
make using them a difficult, although perhaps amusing, proposition. Or
perhaps, since the utensils are covered in duct tape the fighters will
figure they are for use on the field and you would lose even more of
them. :-)

Stefan
(Hmmm. But a large, duct taped serving spoon might make an interesting
off-hand parrying weapon on the rapier field. See this file in the
COMBAT-RAPIER section for more similar items:
SPD-msg           (14K) 12/ 6/95    Silly Parrying Devices for SCA
rapier combat)
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com