[Sca-cooks] Semolina, Khabisa with Pamegranate

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Tue May 25 10:06:49 PDT 2004

No, pastry and bread flours are at the opposite ends. Pastry flours are
very low gluten, for a tender crumb. Bread flours are high gluten, so
the bread will rise. All purpose flour is blended to be in the middle,
so you can make either pastry or bread - and both will be OK, though
neither will be as good as if you used the appropriate flour. But the
typical person doesn't do enough baking for it to make sense to have
several kinds of flour.

Semolina is made of durum wheat, which is high gluten. Pasta made with
it is higher protein, and more likely to cook up al dente. If you make
pasta with all purpose flour, it can come out pretty mushy, even if you
are careful (BTDT.) Fine for egg noodles, which are tender anyway
because of the egg, not so good for spaghetti.

AEllin