[Sca-cooks] Cnn cilantro story- long explanation

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Wed May 26 15:49:33 PDT 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Does *not!* (taste like soap)
> <said with a little-sibling whine>
> --maire

OK, guys, rather than argue about it....

Certain chemicals have different effects on different people, as we all
know. Why else would we have allergic reactions to things? I mean, some of
you here would get deathly ill if you were to be fed a nut, or perhaps a
mushroom, or some types of seafood, but I could stuff myself full of all
three and my only reaction would be a full belly and a satisfied < burp >.

Much of this is a matter of genetics. People who tend to have allergies tend
to have a problem with their immune system, which is hereditary. In fact, it
appears to me to be a hereditary problem which is part of a complex of
associated genetic traits. That's why, I suspect, a dermatoligist I
consulted several years ago asked if I suffered multiple allergies. I told
him "No" because I don't- and he very was surprised, but then I told him
about my father, who seemed to be allergic to lots of things, and whom I
resemble a great deal. Irt seems that elements of my appearance are
associated with people who have multiple allergies.

Similarly, certain ethnic groups tend to have difficulties with certain
foods- most notably, Asians and Native Americans (and others) don't develop
the enzyme lactase to the same extent Northern Europeans (and others) do,
which is what is necessary for the digestion of lactose, a major component
of milk. It's not a true allergic reaction, but milk and milk products will
give people without the enzyme who attempt to ingest it indigestion to one
degree or another.

Similarly, a discussion with Avraham led me to the belief that I lack the
enzymes necessary to utilize certain synthetic pain pills- Vicodin, for
example, which some of you will swear will knock you into the middle of next
week, has absolutely no effect on me- I lack the enzymes to metabolize it.

This is a fairly long lead in to my point, which is about tasting different
foods.

It's well known that there is a certain chemical in cabbage that manifests
as very bitter to some people. It's a common example used to explain genetic
markers in beginning Biology classes, along with tongue curling, blood
types, eye color, and skin color. Basicly, it amounts to:

Some people taste it, some people don't.

Now in actuality, they're discovering that it's not an absolute Yes/No
response- they're discovering more people like me, who do taste it, but can
tolerate it in reasonable quantities. I like cabbage and most of the
vegetables which have this chemical, but eating vast quantities of it can be
very off-putting, as Rob (who ISN'T a taster) discovered when, last fall, he
went on a broccoli craze. After being fed primarily broccoli, but also other
cruciferous vegetables for dinner for two weeks, I couldn't look a broccoli
in the face until a month or so ago- the taste was just too nasty.

It's the same thing with the "soapy" taste in cilantro. I can eat and exjoy
it in small quantities, but the flavor of soap is definitely there, for me.
It isn't there for you, Maire- that just means that your genetics are
different from mine. I can eat it comfortably in salsa (although if I'm
making it, I'll usually substitute parsley) but if you were to try to feed
me lots of it, I flat wouldn't/ couldn't eat it- you might just as well
serve me a bar of soap.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.