[Sca-cooks] my summer project - Spanish Galleon

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu May 27 06:18:49 PDT 2004

In addition to Olwen's ideas and all the other posts---
I would suggest the following hints, tips etc.

You can also use a salt dough for the ship if you discover you
need something more sturdy.
You will need cannons and various things like spilled coinage.

I would suggest edible wafer paper or rice paper for the sail canvas.
Get one of the books that talks about working with this stuff. You can do
a lot with it.... steam it, bend it etc. It's also edible.
Rigging can be sugar strands... or you can work with dipped fine thread
in sugar too. You might be able to use sugar threads but don't count on
them supporting anything. They would be purely decorative.
Do think about how you are going to transport this to event and what
will be assembled on site.

The book Fassbind, Louise & Othmar
[ Louise & Othmar Fassbind ]

Zucker-Artistik für Fortgeschrittene.   Sugar Art in English
1997,   ISBN: 3952053023 has instructions in it for
an undersea scene that uses corals and rocks along with a poured
sugar base. Full instructions with recipes for how to make the realistic
sugar
corals, etc. I would interlibrary loan it and look at it. It's too expensive
to buy--- it's probably close to 150 dollars now what with the exchange
rate.

I would invest in the drying silica gel granules in order to keep the pieces
dry if you are making advance and storing. You store the pieces with the
granules to keep the moisture at bay.
Bookwise you might also look at The Atlas of shipwrecks and treasure.

Hope this helps-- Good luck--

Johnnae llyn Lewis