[Sca-cooks] Okay, so this is vaguely food-related...

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Thu May 27 08:23:52 PDT 2004

Right. When my mom was dying, and could no longer swallow, I arranged
for her to receive just the wine. It's not usually done because of
logistics (lots easier to pop the host into a case and put it in your
pocket, for hospital visits. We did this after Mass was said in the
health facility, and we just had to carry the chalice down the hall) but
it is perfectly theologically acceptable.

It was traditional to receive only the wafer for centuries, and some
parishes still only offer that. There are probably people and/or
parishes who think it is somehow "better" but it is not. It's nice to
receive under both species, but just as only the Bread is fine, so is
only the Wine.

AEllin