[Sca-cooks] Okay, so this is vaguely food-related...

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Thu May 27 10:19:23 PDT 2004

> >Just out of curiosity, is there a provision for celiac Jews at
> >Passover, or is it okay if you simply eat no bread at all, leavened
> >or otherwise?
> >
> >Adamantius
>
> Judaism allows for variations due to illness. I would expect
> something like this to qualify.
>
> There are more things one can eat at Passover if one is Sephardi or
> Mizrachi, foods found in North Africa and the Near East - but that
> the Ashkenazim won't allow, i assume, because they weren't found in
> Eastern Europe.
>
> Anahita

Actually, there was an article in the Jerusalem Post recently (my husband
summarized it for me) on the subject, written by an Ashkenazi rabbi.
Basically, he wasn't sure where the idea that rice was restricted came
from, but that if it's prepared properly it is fine for Passover, and that
coffee is also ok (again, not sure where the idea that it's restricted
came from).

Margaret