[Sca-cooks] Lainie-brownies

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu May 27 20:14:06 PDT 2004

I don't have Lainie's recipe, but I did get this one from a demo on the
Today show several months back.  I have made it and it makes the best,
richest brownies I have ever tasted.   And the statement at the end
about it not looking like it's done is about right.  I actually cooked
them a little longer than called for because I couldn't even get them
out of the pan, they were so gooey.

Chocolate Walnut Brownies

 This brownie, topped with ice cream and fudge sauce, is our
biggest-selling dessert at Fresco.  It's a great treat for the kids, and
they love baking it themselves.

Ingredients:

1 ¼ cups finely chopped unsweetened chocolate (about 10 oz.)
2 cups butter
6 eggs
3 cups sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups walnuts

 Directions:

In the top of a double boiler, melt the chopped chocolate and butter.
Set aside.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour a 9 x
13" baking pan.

In a large bowl, whip the eggs and sugar together until pale yellow and
tripled in volume.  Fold in the flour and baking powder, then the melted
chocolate, and then the chocolate chips and walnuts.

Pour the batter into the baking pan and bake for 30 minutes (it won't
look done, but it is).  Cut into squares.

They omitted the baking powder, so I had to second guess that one.  I
think I used 1 tsp. bakng powder, based on other recipes with similar
amounts of flour and sugar.

Kiri

--
Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.