[Sca-cooks] Medieval Cooking 201

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sat May 29 10:08:50 PDT 2004

Your thoughts about "what ever good Kitchen Wench should know" is a good
one...and would be very helpful, especially if you can have a "hands on"
kind of class.  I know I would have benefited from such a class when I
was geting started...and could probably use some pointers on things like
pie dough even now.  I might even add something about how to cook large
quantities of rice without burning...and pasta and keep it warm!
(Brighid's suggestion about cooking the pasta in small quantities and
keeping it warm in pans in the oven really worked well for my feast!

If you wanted to do a class on "types of cooking", you might consider
talking about not so much specific sources, but how you would go about
putting such a feast together.  For example, in doing the Italian Ren
feast I just did, I not only looked for recipes from that period, but
read historical sources about how feasts were put together, how they
were served, what kind of influences led to that particular style and
specific dishes.  You could look at menus from different areas, etc.  I
don't know if this will help or not, but I hope so!

Kiri