[Sca-cooks] Virtual Cooking Contest

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sat May 29 21:11:19 PDT 2004

OK, folks...here is my take on it.  It's kind of a mixed bag,  and we do
a bit of time traveling...but I think the dishes are compatible.

First Course:
  Sodde Egges (Widow's Treasure, Partridge)--Eggs plus mustard, white
wine vinegar and pepper.
  Caboches in Potage (Forme of Curye)--cabbage, chicken broth, onions
plus saffron, salt, leeks and poudre douce (made from cinnamon, pepper,
sugar, ginger)

Second Course:
    Syrose (Utilis Coquinario from Curye on Ingysch)--Cherries plus
bread crumbs, sugar, whole cloves
     Venison Sausages cooked in flat beer
     Spynochs yfried (Forme of Curye) Spinach plus ginger, cinnamon,
cloves (ground from cloves needed above), mace.

Third Course:
  Grilled White fish with Orange Sauce (Rupert de Nola trans. Vincent
Cuenca)--white fish, orange plus tarragon, cilantro, olive oil
   Another Crust of Tame Creatures (Platina) -- chicken, chicken broth,
eggs, cherries, mint, spelt flour plus lard, marjoram, verjus, parsley
and salt
   Dish made from Peas (Platina)--peas plus salt pork for seasoning,
carob, verjus

Dessert:
  Fresh  Fruit--apricots, bilberries
  Crispels (  ) -- Spelt Flour plus lard, honey

In my shoebox:
    mustard, pepper, saffron, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, mace,
marjoram, tarragon, cilantro,  parsley, 2 slices stale white bread,
white wine vinegar,  verjus, leeks, lard, carob, salt pork and honey.

I know this sounds like a lot...that Tardis thing again...but as was the
case with others, I would have measured out the quantities of
spices/herbs needed and put them in small bags...and the same with the
other ingredients.  I would have trimmed the leeks down enough to fit in
the box....and I used one of Phillip's shoe boxes...he wears size 12 shoes!

The red wine...as with others, I would have been more able to use white
wine as that would have gone better with other provided ingredients.
So, taking a cue from others, I would serve it with the meal.

The early English dishes (Caboches in Potage, Syrose, Spynoches Yfried,
and Crispels) are in honor of that quintesential British hero, King Arthur.
The Spanish and Italian dishes (Grilled White Fish, Another Crust of
Tame Creatures and Dish made from Peas) are in honor of San
Fernando...represent the commonality of Mediterranean dishes in the
Renaissance.
The late English dish (Sodde Egges) is in honor of Christopher Marlowe

Hope you enjoy!

Kiri

kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:

>I figure I'm not the only one not on my way to an event or family function
>this weekend, although a bunch of folks are (our Kingdom A&S is this
>weekend, but I'm not going for various reasons).
>I thought I'd post a little game/exercise for those hanging around to see
>how clever we could be.
>
>	You are sitting at home while all your friends are off on holiday, when you
>get a message from your liege that he and 3 guests will be needing your
>services Sunday night for dinner.  A box of ingredients will be provided,
>and you can bring whatever ingredients you can fit into a shoebox
>(12"x6"x6")with you.  Utensils and equipment including serving platters will
>mysteriously appear out of the ether when you need them (I know, but it's MY
>virtual game :)
>
>Box contents:
>1 pound salted white fish
>1 pound smoked venison sausage links
>1 whole hen (plucked, head and feet still on)
>3 onions
>1 head cabbage
>8 oz dried peas
>1 bunch fresh mint
>1 bunch fresh spinach
>1 pound spelt flour
>8 eggs
>1 bottle red wine
>1 pt. flat beer
>2 lb. Basket of assorted fresh fruits, including apricots, cherries, &
>bilberries
>

>Here are some Saint's Days and other observances for May 30th to give you
>some ideas to work with if you like:
>MAY 30
>King Arthur Killed in the Battle of Badon (542)
>St. Walstan's Feast Day (1016) Patron Saint of Cattle and Farmers; Invoked
>against Blindness, Fever, Lameness, and Palsy.  A simple farm hand in
>Norfolk, England, he was so gentle that the common people believed him to be
>a king.  He died praying in a field for the sick and the cattle, and those
>animals brought his body to the church in town.
>St. Ferdinand's Feast Day (13th Cent) Patron Saint of Engineers, Governors,
>Rulers, and Magistrates.  San Fernando inherited the Kingdom of Leon from
>his father, and Castile from his mother.  He took the rest by siege, and
>forged the nation of Spain.
>St. Joan of Arc's Feast Day (1431) Patron Saint of France and the Military.
>Maid of Orleans, heard angelic voices and led the French army against the
>English, she went on to crown Charles king of France. Captured by the
>English, she was convicted of witchcraft and burned at the stake.
>Christopher Marlow (d. 1593) Stabbed to death in a dispute over a tavern
>bill.
>Memorial Day* - United States - Held on May 30th, or the last Monday in May.
>Started in 1866 in Columbus, MS by two women who decorated the graves of
>Civil War Veterans from the Confederacy and the Union. This was seen as such
>a fine gesture, that it was adopted as a yearly observance as long as a
> [...]

Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
					-- C.E. Lawrence