[Sca-cooks] roast turkey

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 2 12:52:32 PST 2004

  William de Grandfort declared:
> When I am King, I shall make Roast Turkey the national dish of Caid,
> and banish any who dare oppose me!!
You could. But why? That is a period food. Late, and certainly not
available in all areas but it is "period" by our usual rules.
Personally, like many others, I find that it reminds me too much of
mundanity if served as turkey, so I would prefer it not be used except
in certain circumstances such as an intentionally late period themed
event. Turkey did replace similar birds, though. The bussard(sp?), was
one of them I believe. And turkey is certainly more available than
other large birds that they would have served. And a lot less work than
cooking all those songbirds. :-)
turkeys-msg       (64K) 10/15/04    Use of turkeys in Rennaissance
Europe.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/turkeys-msg.html

Stefan
--------