[Sca-cooks] Dec 4 MK Cooks Symposium Class list finalized

iasmin at comcast.net iasmin at comcast.net
Wed Nov 3 06:13:51 PST 2004

Greetings all from the December 4th, 2004 Middle Kingdom Cook's Symposium class coordinator!

I wanted to update everyone who had been asking about the classes for the symposium. We've finalized the class list and (barring bad weather or real life), you can view the descriptions of the class list online at:

http://home.comcast.net/~iasmin/2004cooks/classes.html

With hope, in the next few days we'll even have the scheduled time of the classes up and viewable, with a downloadable PDF available for people print out.

Although all the classes are bound to be intriguing and stellar, I'd like to mention three in particular because of their importance to the historical cooking community's body of knowledge. Three manuscripts are being presented that we believe have never before been see in English or have not seen a modern English translation:

- Poor and Miserable: Documented German opinions of Turkish food (Master Bogdan de la Brasov)
- 16th Century Northern Italian Cooking: The Libro Novo (Master Basilicus Phocus)
- Kaeseki Ryori and Ryori Monogatari (Kiri-sensei and Dame Hauviette d'Anjou)

In his "Poor and Miserable" class, Master Bogdan is presenting an interesting bit of translation work on the opinions of one culture concerning the foods of another. We believe this will be the first time any SCA folk are presented with this document.

The Libro Novo translation work of Master Basilicus has been his labor of love for many years and we believe this to be the first modern translation of the work presented in the US. Master Basilicus has graciously agreed to make CD-ROM versions of his translation work available to attendees for a nominal fee.

Finally, The Ryori Monogatari is an ongoing translation project of the famed Japanese tea ceremony meal records of the pre-1600s time. To our knowledge, few if any English translations of period Japanese food works exist, so Kiri-sensei and Dame Hauviette's presentation is likely to receive particular attention. We suspect that this is the first time even a partial English translation will be discussed in the United States.

Enjoy, folks. Hope to see you at the event.

Iasmin

TH Iasmin de Cordoba, Baroness Roaring Wastes, OL
Class Coordinator, 2004 MK Cook's Symposium
iasmin at comcast.net