[Sca-cooks] Earthapples Kartoffel

Kai D. Kalix kdkalix at gmx.de
Fri Nov 12 16:08:30 PST 2004

Greetings,
Chris Stanifer <jugglethis at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm initially inclined to say that 'earthapples' were potatoes, if only
> because of the similarity
> between the Dutch 'aardappel', the German 'Erdäpfel' or 'Kartoffel', and
> the French 'Pommes de
> Terre'...all of which refer to the potato, and all of which mean 'earth
> apple' or 'apple of the
> earth' (except perhaps 'kartoffel')
[snip]

German Kartoffel comes from 18c Tartuffel, italian tartufolo, latin terrae
tufer or tuber, literally a tuber from the earth (in italian meaning
truffle)
In the Rhineland, potatoes are called Krumbeeren, from Grundbirne meaning
ground-pear.
kai

--
Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! or he will not slay Thee in Thy
turn, but bear Thee

Geschenkt: 3 Monate GMX ProMail + 3 Top-Spielfilme auf DVD
++ Jetzt kostenlos testen http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail ++