[Sca-cooks] Grapeseed oil and liana syrup

Patrick Levesque pleves1 at po-box.mcgill.ca
Mon Nov 15 06:57:14 PST 2004

2 different topics, actually...

Can we document grapeseed oil in period? (probably, but where?... Actually,
does anybody knows of sources devoted specifically to oil pressing, and the
various kind of oils used, in period? Specifically late period Italy, but
any reference will be interesting... I'm heading off to the Florilegium
right now to check what's there :-))))

And then:

I'm making a survey of period foods mentioned in Japanese texts of the Heian
period; Sei Shonagon (if I recall properly, my list is not at hand) mentions
shaved ice with liana syrup. This would apparently be used as a sweetener.
Has anybody ever come across this, and what are its culinary properties?

Petru

(Well, I guess you all have a pretty good idea now what my next two feasts'
themes will be :-))