[Sca-cooks] Which ingredients to avoid? [Was: Rue Substitute?]

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Nov 17 12:35:18 PST 2004

Greetings,

Do we have a list of the food ingredients that we must
not use?

Such a list should include both those ingredients that we
know (or feel) could evoke safety issues as well as those
which are prohibited by law or regulation.

Here are some ingredients I would not use ...

Rue:

	Oil of rue is an abortifacent.

wormwood:

	Especially thujone, a terpene found in wormwood,
	which was responsible for absinthe's secondary
	effects.

St. John's Wort:

	An anti depressant ... but you wouldn't want to
	give it to someone suffering from bipolar disorder
	and induce a manic episode.

	Reported to work against the immune suppressant
	drug cyclosporin, which resulted in a transplant
	being rejected.

... and there are certainly many, many more.

I realize any such list will be controversial.

I am not trying to say that an individual should or should
not make a personal decision to use these for medicinal
effect ...

My point is that we, both as individuals and as a group,
must not give anyone an ingredient that might have an
unexpected medicinal effect.

I am,
Lord Vincenzo Martino Mazza,
In Service to the Dream

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick