[Sca-cooks] Which ingredients to avoid?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Nov 18 22:40:06 PST 2004

Selene commented:
> > William:
> > Well...THAT'S a good start :)  No marijuana, though???  Well, there
> > goes my "Blancmange a'la
> > Cheech y Chong" entry....
> >
> > Still, it seems there are no restrictions for my "Corned Beef
> Hashish"
> > recipe...
>
> Smarty.  But anything with "hempseed" in it is out as well, even
> thought
> there is no "active ingredient"  in the seeds even in the THC-bearing
> strains. Hempseed appears at various times within the medieval cookery
> corpus.
Well, the Florilegium not being censored by the SCA or the Bush
administration has some info on this, although there is not much, if
any, info on the use of such substances in food:
smoking-msg       (15K)  1/10/02    Period smoking of tobacco and other
plants.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAL/smoking-msg.html
hemp-msg         (48K)  7/30/01    Use of hemp in period. In ropes, as
an
                                       intoxicant, clothing. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/hemp-msg.html

Actually hemp cloth is what "canvas" was originally made of and wears
much better than cotton canvas. Too bad it is so much more expensive,
especially for something like a pavilion.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com