[Sca-cooks] Sig Lines

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Nov 20 05:05:32 PST 2004

What is it about people's objections to sig lines? My opinion has always
been that they're designed to tell people a bit more about the person who
posts them- if you find them objectionable, don'r read them.

I used to have a sig line (that I still use occasionally) that read,

"When pompous people irk me with their regal attributes,
It pleases me to imagine how they look in bathing suits."

and in one list I was on, I had one guy who threw a fit because he was a
compulsive reader and always "had" to read down through it, and another lady
who wanted to know what I was meaning, and when I commented that it was a
reminder to avoid middle-aged attitudes, and not take oneself too seriously,
proceeded to (try to) blast me about being rude to middle-aged people. I
forbore to mention, at the time, that I was crowding 50- that discussion is
one of the things that solidified Paul Buell's and my friendship ;-)

The thing is, sig lines are personal expressions of people's individuality.
If you don't agree with the sentiment, fine- you don't have to, any more
than you have to wear polka dotted trousers if someone else wears them. And
if you REALLY disagree, you can put your own sig onto your posts. But
please, don't waste our time by bitching about what you don't like about
another person on this List. Not only is it rather childish, but it's also
likely to be rather ineffective, since Master Adamantius is one of the most
liked and respected people here, for all his opinions about politics and
baseball ;-)

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.