[Sca-cooks] Something I found -- words not food [OT}

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Sat Nov 20 17:35:48 PST 2004

Greetings,

I just found this internet resource ... it is far
too wonderful to keep to myself and not share.

It is the original 1919 edition with 883 poems.

"The Oxford Book of English Verse 1250–1900"
Chosen and Edited by A. T. Quiller-Couch

http://www.bartleby.com/101/index.html

>From Bartleby.com ...

	From Arthur Quiller-Couch’s 1919 Introduction to
	this extensive collection: “For this Anthology I
	have tried to range over the whole field of
	English Verse
. To bring home and render so great
	a spoil compendiously has been my capital
	difficulty. It is for the reader to judge if I
	have so managed it as to serve those who already
	love poetry and to implant that love in some
	young minds not yet initiated.”

... and also ...

	My wish is that the reader should in his own
	pleasure quite forget the editor's labour, which
	too has been pleasant: that, standing aside,
	I may believe this book has made the Muses’
	access easier when, in the right hour, they come
	to him to uplift or to console.
	  -- Arthur Quiller-Couch

I hope that you find it to be both pleasant and a valuable
reference.

I am,
Lord Vincenzo Martino Mazza,
In Service to the Dream

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick