[Sca-cooks] rice porridge/rice pudding

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 21 15:30:37 PST 2004

UlfR commented:
> Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> [2004.11.21] wrote:
> > --maire/sue, trying to catch up on emails before she goes off to have
> > swedish pancakes for breakfast....mmmm......
So, what makes these "swedish" pancakes different from other pancakes?
Thickness? ingredients?

> Do you eat them with some sort of preserve (homemade raspberry or
> cloudberry are my favorites, but bilberry is _quite_ ok as well) or
> with
> cinnamon (which I prefer)?
I've always had maple or similar syrup on my pancakes. Perhaps I need
to try one of these others. It seems like those might be better on a
thinner pancake, though.

> I just got dinner -- misc stew -- started on the woodstove (need to
> check it after this is sent off, probably need another stick or two),
> and had blackpudding for lunch (with lingonberries, of course). Rice
> porridge[1] for breakfast.
Interesting. How does this differ from rice pudding? This is thinner?
I've never had anything like this, or rice pudding, although after the
comments on this list I've been considering trying rice pudding
sometime. Even though I've been trying to cut back on carbohydrates. It
sound like the rice grains still have their shape, although they are
very soft?

Stefan

> [1] Boil 1 c shortgrain rice (since the stuff sold for porridge here
> works for sushi I suspect you can substitute the other way as well) in
> 2
> cups of water until the water has been absorbed (recipie claims 1.2 t
> salt, I tend to ignore this). Add 4 cups of whole milk (or a tad less
> start) and simmer *gently* for 45-60 minutes, stirring every now and
> then, until rice is soft and milk is absorbed. Add a couple of sticks
> of
> cinnamon in the beginning for extra flavour, serve with more cinnamon
> and milk. Serves 6 nominal midgets on Atkins, 3-4 real persons.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com