[Sca-cooks] Re: candies & sweets

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Wed Nov 24 07:43:34 PST 2004

I believe that 'zuccatta' is a kind of long, skinny gourdish item, grown in
the area of Sciliy.  It is mentioned in 'Bitter Almonds', a modern book which
includes many traditional marzipan and dessert-ish items made by the nuns on
Scilliy.  I think that you can get zuccatta seeds.

Good places for recipes/information/instruction on sweet making:
1) Sugar Plums & Sherbets (Mason, Laura - pb available)
2) Appetite & the Eye - (Wilson, C Ann edit) op, but try library
3) Banquetting Feasts - ditto
4) Martha Washington's Boke of Cookery - Hess, Karen, ed - has recipe for
'Manus Christi' - pb available

In 'Eat, Drink, & Be Merry', by Ivan Day, which is primarily about table
settings, there is a great picture of a table of sweetmeats, including a wonderful
sugarpaste cathedral, tarts with different colored jams in the lattices, etc
etc.  Probably OP, but I've sold a number (still have a couple) so someone
should be able to get a copy of the pic to you.

Sorry, I'm not Johnnae, and too lazy to look up the ISBN info.
Devra

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com