[Sca-cooks] Cooking Answers from a Stupid Poophead

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 24 14:07:04 PST 2004

This is from the Food Reference E-Zine, and is similar to the funny
questions from English students that get forwarded from time to time, except
this is a cooking question.  It made me laugh, I hope it brings a smile to
your faces as well,
Christianna
not a stupid poophead (I hope)

READERS QUESTIONS
I frequently receive questions from students, and sometimes they seem to be
questions that they are supposed to be researching on their own rather than
just asking someone else. I try my best not to help students take shortcuts,
cheat, or avoid doing their homework and science projects. Sometimes I guess
wrong. I am not sure about the following exchange.  COMMENTS ARE WELCOME.

QUESTION: I really need help with a science project I have due on Dec. 3 and
I would like to know what happends when cooking oil is heated. It's for my
research. I really need you to answer this question for me when it's
possible for you. Thank you for taking the time to read my e-mail to you.
Bye.
Sincerely, Brittany Young

MY RESPONSE: Cooking oil gets hot when it is heated.
I think that the intention of a science project is for you to do the
experiment and figure out the answer.  This is not a difficult experiment.
At the least, read some science texts about the subjects of heat,
temperature and oils to find the answers. I think that asking someone else
for the answer would be considered cheating.       Regards, Chef James

BRITTANY'S REPLY: I'm not cheating in my project I'm doing research for part
of my project. I was going to put you in my bibliography if I was going to
use what you put in the e-mail. My teacher said that we could get
information from people so I chose a chef! Who wouldn't choose a chef unless
they were some kind of STUPID POOPHEAD. Anyway I wasn't cheating!

MY FINAL RESPONSE: Rather than not reply at all, I replied explaining why I
did not answer your question.
If you had simply stated that your teacher had said it was ok to ask others
as part of your research, I would have happily given you a detailed
explanation of what happens both physically and chemically when cooking oil
is heated.
However, since you feel I am a "stupid poophead," I have decided not to
respond with that explanation.

THE ANSWER I MIGHT HAVE SENT IF I WERE NOT A STUPID POOPHEAD:
Cooking oil gets hot when heated. As the oil is heated, it begins to expand
in volume (as do almost all substances except water), and decreases in
viscosity (it becomes 'thinner' or less thick). When it reaches the point at
which it starts to smoke, it begins to break down and emit noxious fumes of
acrolein (the decomposition product of glycerol).  Most cooking oils have a
smoke point between 350 and 450 degrees F. As oil reaches the smoke point it
also gives a burnt flavor to foods.
This chemical change is why cooking oils must be discarded after being
heated and cooled from 3 to 5 times (depending on the specific oil and its
smoke point).

From: Food Reference Newsletter  ISSN 1535-5659
 James T. Ehler (Publisher & Editor)
 3920 S. Roosevelt Blvd