[Sca-cooks] Salad Cream

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Nov 29 13:30:55 PST 2004

It varies a little from company to company, but it can be
bought here in the states. I always thought of it as not quite mayo
but pourable. Of course we now have mayo in squeeze bottles too, so
that distinnction may not exist now.
http://www.britstore.co.uk/itm00144.htm  where it offers
Heinz Salad Cream 650g
Squeezy Bottle 650g

Heinz are very proud of Heinz Cream which has stood for quality and
authenticity since they invented it in 1914.

No Artificial colours, flavours or preservatives Suitable for a gluten
free diet.
Ingredients: Spirit Vinegar, Vegetable Oil (25%), Water, Sugar, Mustard,
Salt, Egg Yolks (3%), Modified Cornflour Stabilisers - Xanthan Gum and
Guar Gum, Colour - Riboflavin.

Color photo at--
http://www.englishteastore.com/hesacr15.html

Here we go-- Vermont Country Store has it--
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/

Heinz Salad Cream, a Staple in England for 90 Years
Since 1914, this distinctly English salad cream has been used by the
British to perk up salads-and with good reason. It's creamier and bolder
than American dressings, and has a zesty flavor that's reminiscent of a
tangy tartar sauce. Perfect for adding zing to salads, pastas, and other
dishes. This spirited condiment is also a nice change of pace from
mayonnaise on sandwiches. Contains no artificial colors or
preservatives. 15 oz. bottle.

two bottles --- $12.90

Hope this helps,

Johnnae

Question:  Exactly what is "salad cream"?  I found the reference in Terry
Pratchett's _Thief of Time_ so it exists in the UK.  A character in the
book asks "What, what, what is this nonsense of 'salad cream'?"  The
footnote says "If you live in a country where the tradition calls for
mayonnaise, just don't ask.  Just don't."  Okay, so I couldn't resist
asking.  It must be a British substitution for mayo.  Is it like American
salad dressing?  Is it yukky?  And, should I look up this taste treat when
I go to England next spring???

Alys Katharine