[Sca-cooks] beef per gallon

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 11:57:32 PST 2004

--- "Lonnie D. Harvel" <ldh at ece.gatech.edu> wrote:

 I have decided to increase (double, actually) the amount of
> beef in order to 1) keep the soup on the hearty side,

Yes, if your Traveller's Fare has turned into a full meal, for that many people, then you'll want
to up the beef.

As for quantity cooking on-site, here are a few of the tips I have learned from cooking for my own
camp for many years:

1)  Do as much prep as possible at home.  Peel, cut and bag the veggies, pre-measure and mix your
spice/herb blends (fewer jars to take with you), pre-roast all of your meats when possible, freeze
your stocks/bases and store in ziplocks

2)  Start the meal earlier than you originally anticipated.... you don't want to be cooking in the
dark, but reheating or finishing soups/stews after the sun goes down is usually okay.  Besides,
when cooking on-site, something will always happen to slow you down (coals won't light, propane
bottle won't couple or is empty, winds are so strong they keep blowing out the camp stove, etc)

3)  Make a list of everything you will need as far as utensils, and place them all in a box as you
check them off... getting on site and then realizing you left your can opener/ spice grinder/
what-have-you at home is a real pain.

4)  Bring a tub big enough to wash your dishes in, and have someone wash them as soon as they are
empty... trying to cook breakfast the next morning will be a lot easier if you don't have dirty
dishes and flies/bees all over the place.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.