[Sca-cooks] Historic Near East Spice Boxes

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 2 09:16:56 PST 2004

From: Chris Stanifer <jugglethis at yahoo.com>
>Can I get the link to this item again, please?  After seeing this 5
>page list of stuff to add,

Yeah, and another quarter of a century of research and data analysis :-)

>I think I need to see the original for myself :)  What, exactly, is
>it you were trying to analyze??
>
>William de Grandfort

By the way did anyone say, welcome back, to you? If not, welcome
back! I see you have a new name from what you used to use, but i
think your mundane name and e-mail haven't changed :-)

I posted my first message with the links on Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:16:14
-0700 (that's Pacific Daylight Time) and it showed up in Sca-cooks
Digest, Vol 17, Issue 95. You may have come back to the list after
that...

There are three webpages. Two list, and a third compares, the
seasonings used in the cookbooks of al-Baghdadi and the Anonymous
Andalusian, both from the 13th century, but almost opposite ends of
Dar al-Islam.

http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Misc_Hist_Food/SpiceboxBaghdadi.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Misc_Hist_Food/SpiceboxAndalusi.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Misc_Hist_Food/SpiceboxesCompared.html

I've been collecting comments from a couple lists, and i will
probably begin editing the pages this week. To add more info i'll
have to go back through the books, and i cannot guarantee when i'll
get really new data up (like counting the ingredients in the breads
and sweets and beverages), but i'll certainly let everyone know when
i do.

Anahita