[Sca-cooks] Artichoke/cardoons was Re: roast turkey

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 09:38:46 PST 2004

--- Louise Smithson <helewyse at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Would you like lots of period references to both cardoon and artichoke served in recipes.
> Grilled over coals, eaten raw in a salad, cooked in broth served with cheese, served in a pie?
> Menu references to both items being served at feasts?  I have them all in a cookbook, written
> well within our period of interest (600 ad to 1600) and in a country of interest.
>
> I am of course referring to the Opera by Scappi, mid to late 16th century Italian, court of the
> popes in Rome.  Neither Turkey nor cardoon nor artichoke are particularly rare among the menus
> or recipes. Italy is not England, the Renaissance wasn't just art it was food too.

Yes, please.  I'd love to see a translation of that!  Particularly the Artichoke and Cardoon
recipes.  I'd like to see how they were treated in the period texts, since the preparation methods
for the two items are distinctly different.  You say these are in a cookbook?  Yes, translate,
please :)  When was the book written?  I'm looking, in particular, for artichoke references prior
to 1500.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.