[Sca-cooks] Re: Larded Milk

Martha Oser osermart at msu.edu
Wed Nov 3 10:18:12 PST 2004

Hmm, interesting...  The recipes I have don't mention either lard or vinegar
or lemon juice.  I was wondering how they got it to thicken.

The recipes I've been looking at are from "Libellus de arte coquinaria: An
Early Northern Cookery Book", edited and translated by Rudolf Grewe and
Constance Hieatt.  Published in 2001 at the Arizona Center for Medieval and
Renaissance Studies.

This book is a compilation of 4 cooking texts that date (I think) to the
13th century - maybe 12th.  Someone who knows the book better can correct
me.

The recipes are as follows:

 From Manuscript Q
Recipe XVIII

One should take fresh milk, and add to it beaten eggs, and add pork meat cut
into dice, and add to it ground bark (cinnamon) and saffron, and let it boil
all together.  Then take it up and let it cool, and cover it well while it
cools.  Then let all the water that is therein strain off, and wring it in a
cloth so that all that is water runs off.  Afterwards cut it in slices, and
place thin slivers on a gridiron, and broil it there.  It is called "larded
milk."

 From Manuscript W
Recipe XVIII

Next, one should take fresh milk, and add to it beaten eggs and bacon, cut
into small particles, and let it cook with crushed saffron.  When it comes
to a boil, one should place it over the embers and cover the pot with a
bowl.  Let the whey run out, and squeeze it through a towel.  Slice the milk
thus and roast it on the grill; place reeds under it.  It is called "Larded
Milk."

Both of these manuscripts then also give directions for taking the larded
milk and wrapping it in a dough made of flour, saffron and eggs and frying
it to make what's called "gilded milk."

So my newbie question then is am I missing some implied use of something
acidic in these recipes to make them congeal, or are the original cooks
simply relying on the thickening power of cooked eggs?

 -Helena