[Sca-cooks] Plat's titles was roast turkey

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Nov 4 03:48:21 PST 2004

EEBO which is the online version of the UMI microfilm project
lists--
Woolley, Hannah, fl. 1670.
The Accomplish'd ladies delight in preserving, 1675; 1677; 1684; 1685;
1686; 1696 as
being available on EEBO.

There's also this variant title--
Woolley, Hannah, fl. 1670.
The accomplisht ladys delight in preserving, physick and cookery,
London? : For B. Harris,  1675.

This is where the mistake comes in.
This full cataloguing entry on EEBO now carries this note

Erroneously attributed to Sir Hugh Plat.

So someone in the past made a mistake and linked Hugh Plat with this
edition.
[You can actually search Plat and turn this edition up under his name,
so if you
don't read the full citation, you don't catch the correction as to why
the entry appears
under Plat! So let this be a lesson to everyone; please read those full
entries.]

They now realize that it is wrong to list this edition under Plat which
is why the cataloguing carries the note.
This probably happened sometime after Sass published her book in 1976.
I've found errors regarding some editions in both the ESTC and the
British Library records in just
the past couple years, so the records are not perfect. Working to get
the correct
information online and available is an interesting story.
Remind me to relate it all to you sometime.

Johnnae