[Sca-cooks] Re: Larded Milk

Martha Oser osermart at msu.edu
Thu Nov 4 08:10:50 PST 2004

Adamantius says:

> Y'ever made consomme? It involves the adding of eggs, aromatic
> flavoring vegetables, and sometimes additional meat, to stock, and
> bring it all to a simmer without stirring. What it does, in essence,
> is causes all the little particles and extraneous flavoring agents to
> solidify (there's a network of protein strands mixed throughout, and
> these begin to shrink and solidify as the protein denatures) and
> separate out from the rest of the mass, which breaks apart into
> layers. One of those layers is a mass of egg, meat, vegetables, and
> gunk, and another is the consomme, a highly-flavorful, crystal-clear
> (we hope)  stock. The only difference in the underlying science is
> that in this case, it's that clearmeat (that's what it's called) that
> you want and are saving, and the liquid that you're discarding.

No, I haven't made consomme.  I'm more of a baked-goods person, but I
understand the concept - roughly the same way you use a raft of beaten egg
white to clarify a stock.

> I think that, if you use unhomogenized milk (which is a suspension,
> as opposed to a semi-emulsion like homegenized milk), the same effect
> can be achieved, and there won't be a lot of milk left behind. It'll
> be whey, like the water that leaks from an overcooked quiche or
> custard as it cools.

Yes, I was talking to some veterinarians I know last night and they
suggested getting raw milk as well.  Nice, fatty, Jersey cow milk...mmm...

 -Helena