[Sca-cooks] Re: artichoke quote was roast turkey

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 08:35:07 PST 2004

--- Johnna Holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> wrote:

> Ermolao Barbaro, in his In Dioscoridem corollariorum libri quinque,
> finally published in 1530, writes that at the end of the fifteenth
> century artichokes
> were not always available in Italy; the implication may be that they
> were not
> particularly esteemed at that time. The artichoke, he said, speaking of
> Venice, is
> found only in the foreign gardens in the Moorish quarter.

There it is.  That was the particular quote which gave me the impression that the artichoke was
not a 'mainstream' or commonly used item in SCA period.  The impression that it was grown only in
selective gardens further impresses that it may have been more of a cultural favorite, which
didn't take well with the common man of Western Europe.  I may, in fact, be mistaken about this,
but that is the impression I am getting.  As always, if there is further proof that the artichoke
(and not the cardoon being mislabeled as an artichoke) was more prevailant in period, I'd love to
see it.  I do likes me some artichokes.... ;)

William de Grandfort
Norman Invader

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.