[Sca-cooks] Herbs in Recipes

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Nov 5 14:18:18 PST 2004

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> I asked for suggestions on our kingdom cooks guild e-mail list. One
> was to feature a specific herb at each competition. I think it sounds
> like a good idea, but i'm not convinced there are recipes in which a
> single herb is the primary flavoring. As far as i can recall, most
> "period" recipes have a mixture of herbs and spices, and don't feature
> the flavor of one in particular.

Fresh mint would be one--- lots of recipes there.

I would think that you could do one contest with an herb. Maybe one with
a spice; maybe
one based on one book or source (pick one from Cindy's web pages
at her culinary history site so everyone can find it)
 and maybe one doing a theme based on
Royal whimsy.

Johnnae