[Sca-cooks] Tasty Exotics

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 19:00:22 PST 2004

How true!

Here is SoCal, our native California Gray
Squirrels are rapidly being pushed out by the
Eastern Fox Squirrel, who were brought to the
Los Angeles area in 1904 by Civil and
Spanish-American war veterans who were living
in a large Vet hospital here in LA.  I have
no idea why.  However, now 100 years later, you
can only find a gray squirrel in wilderness areas
and you find millions of the fox squirrel all
over LA, including too many in my back yard.

I have a 100+ foot tall pecan tree in my back
yard.  Up until a few years ago, when the fox
squirrels moved in, we used to get three or four
grocery bags full of pecans each year.  Since
the fox squirrels moved in, we have only found
a handful of uneaten pecans.  I wish I could
find a way of getting rid of the darned cute
pests.  However, my mom finds great enjoyment
in watching their antics, so they are of some
use.

One of my favorite stories is watching a squirrel
bury a nut, then watch a crow unbury the nut and
move it to a place of his choosing, only to have
a blue jay unbury it and move it to yet another
hiding place.  No wonder we have baby pecan trees
sprouting up in the most unlikely places!

Huette

--- Daniel  Phelps <phelpsd at gate.net> wrote:

> On the flip side of this discussion I
> understand that, at some point in the
> past, the American Gray Squirrel was imported
> into the UK.  As it is more
> aggressive than what is native it is proceeding
> to dominate the scene.
> Having had several bird feeder, to include one
> squirrel proof one, destroyed
> by them I wish the Brits the best of luck.
> IMHO squirrels are just rats
> with good PR.
>
> Daniel

=====