[Sca-cooks] Exotic but Tasty?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 7 18:36:10 PST 2004

--- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at jeffnet.org> wrote:

> So do they have the same exceptionally rude
> jokes about the co-eds?
> (Someone in Corvallis awhile back made a
> killing with "Save a Tree- Eat a
> Beaver" bumper stickers. I don't think they
> mean barbeque...)
>
> 'Lainie
> Quacker-Backer!

No.  You have to realize that the CalTech
students are the upper 1 percent of the upper 1
percent of all college students, so therefore
they are nerds at worst and the few females that
manage to qualify are very intelligent and
usually know how to verbally protect themselves.
Most of the males are so involved in their
studies that they have little time to actually
notice that there are females on campus.  At
CalTech they have a very active office to try
and acquaint their students with concepts such
as culture [they actually pay students to got
to concerts], fashion [no, you can't go to a job
interview in jeans and a tee-shirt.  Just because
your IQ is 845 and you actually proved a thousand
year old mathmatical theorum that has stumped all
the world's greatest mathmaticians doesn't mean
that a company will hire you unless you go
dressed appropriately.  Here is a voucher for a
suit and tie at Bloomingdales down the street]
and hygiene [you have to bathe at least once a
week.  That is why your dorm-mates built the
catapault and launched a water balloon attack on
you as you crossed the campus. {nota bene: that
particular student hadn't bathed in three
months}]

The beaver was chosen because of its great
engineering abilities, which was akin to the
students scientific and engineering abilities.
One African student had joked to his dorm-mates
that he used to live in the trees of Africa, so
when he went back to his dorm after an afternoon
class, he found all his furniture suspended from
the olive trees that line the walk just outside
the dorm.  Everything was in the exact same
position as it had been in his dorm room.  Even
the lights worked and his computer worked.  And
there was a sign attached that read:
"We just want you to feel at home."

Huette

=====