[Sca-cooks] restricted ingredients

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Sun Nov 7 20:47:43 PST 2004

Howdy,

Here is a soda-bread recipe that I used once when I had several
individuals with similar diet restrictions. It worked well with all
whole-wheat bread flour as well. The loaf was a bit denser than I would
have liked, but I think that was more due to the soy milk instead of
buttermilk. I plan to toss in a little more baking soda on the next go
round. (I think I got the recipe from "cookrecipes.com") The whole wheat
chocolate cookies (farther down) do have brown sugar in them.

*_Whole Wheat Soda Bread
_*

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened  (used soy-margarine)
1 large egg or 1/4 cup egg substitute
1 1/2 cups 1% buttermilk (used soy milk)

   1. Preheat oven to 450*F (230*C). Line a large baking sheet with
      parchment paper.
   2. Set aside 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour. In a large bowl,
      combine the remaining all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, wheat
      germ, salt, and soda. Using your fingers, work the unsalted butter
      into the flour mixture, rubbing the butter/flour mixture between
      your thumb and fingers. Make a well in the center.
   3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Pour into
      the well in the flour mixture; stir until dry ingredients are
      evenly moistened. Do not over mix.
   4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Sprinkle with
      the reserved 2 tablespoons flour. Gently knead 3 or 4 times. Shape
      into a 8-inch circle. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
   5. Using a sharp knife, cut an X on the top of the loaf all the way
      to the sides. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 400*F
      (205*C). Bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, until loaf is well
      browned and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Transfer to a
      rack to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.

Here is the recipe I have used for Whole Wheat Chocolate Cookies. I use
Ghirardelli. I expect using soy milk would work fine. I would be
interested to know if they work with one of the brown sugar substitutes
out there, for those avoiding sugar for health or diet reasons.

    1 1/2 c. brown sugar
    3/4 c. shortening
    1 egg
    6 tbsp. cocoa
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. baking powder
    2 c. whole wheat flour
    1/3 c. sour milk

Mix shortening, sugar and egg until smooth. Add sour milk and sifted dry
ingredients alternately. Drop from teaspoon onto a greased baking sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for 8-12 minutes.

I can definitely handle the "no milk products" restriction, having a
nephew who also cannot have milk products. It is amazing where those
things sneak in!

Aoghann.