[Sca-cooks] A Weighty Situation...

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 08:56:17 PST 2004

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 18:11:42 -0800 (PST), Chris Stanifer
<jugglethis at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think everyone would echo that sentiment, as a general principle, but there are some health
> factors involved in a number of these situations, I believe.  Seriously overweight people have
> increased risk factors for ill-health, and dieting to reduce the excess weight is a good idea.

Yeah, I have an increased risk of heart disease and diabetes, and all those who
have it are obese.  I'm bucking a trend and helping out anyone who
needs the advice.
Everyone has to die at some point, I just want it to be later, not sooner.

> Whether these 'South Beach' or 'Atkins' diets are the way to go, only time will tell.  I,
> personally, went on Atkins for about 5 months, and it worked beautifully for me (lost 45 pounds,
> and felt FABULOUS).  But, hey... I like beer, so.....

Mmmmm....beer, scotch is beer's older, more refined brother....

I've used both Atkins and South Beach, and stirred in a lot of
diabetic research on
top of it, mostly for portion control, and knowing how much of
something I should eat.

(not that I always listen to that, but I try to)

> I could stand to lose about 10 pounds, but I am not what you would call 'fat', or seriously
> overweight.  I'm a 'big boy' (6' 4", 260 pounds), but I do have a defective heart valve, which
> always keeps my weight in the front of my mind... if I start pushing maximum density, I cut back
> on the ol' Guinness and Newcastle for a few weeks, and there we go.

Y'see, I am still overweight, I need to drop more.  For health
reasons, not for my own
vanity.  I'm a large guy - 6'6" and I think 340lbs at the moment.  I
am tryin to reach 290
lbs as a goal at the moment.  And I am tryin to do it before I turn
40, which is 4 years off.

I also go to the gym 3-5 times a week (depending on motivation, sometimes none).

After a while you get into a pattern and just like how it feels.

oh, yeah, and you have to work the beer in from time to time.....I
have an actual Irish
pub down the road from me (The Harp), Irish owned and operated.

> The point, I guess, is that, for the most part, you are right.  People should feel good about
> themselves, no matter what they look like.  However, if there is a wellness issue involved, then
> yes... be concerned about your weight.  And, generally speaking, there is usually a wellness
> factor for overweight people.  So, there's that, then...
>
> Just don't stop drinking beer!!!!  If everyone did that, then I would be the only one left, and
> I'd feel a little silly :)
>
> William de Grandfort

Gotta have the beer from time to time....

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson