Soda bread (was Re: [Sca-cooks] restricted ingredients

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 8 09:28:11 PST 2004

What IS cream of tartar? I have this bottle of it sitting in my cabinet,
and have little idea of what to do with it. (OK, I  know it is potassium
hydrogen tartrate, KC _4 H _5 O _6 )  From Cadoc's post, about using it
as the base, it is an acidic salt. Up to now, I only used it to
stabilize my egg whites, more as a magic powder than any real
understanding of what it was doing. Didn't realize it was in my baking
powder. Lookout! this is starting to make sense!

Aoghann.
I have a vague memory of it being related to wine making...