[Sca-cooks] time of year/what to serve?

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 9 07:48:54 PST 2004

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

>Ok guys, I'm working on a feast bid for June 2005. The event theme is
>Landsknecht, and I'm thinking of taking food from a variety of
>cookbooks, rather than concentrating on one particular time/place. The
>part that really determines what I'll be cooking is the time of year-- I
>want to go with what is in season.
>
>I've looked at a couple of resources, but I'm looking for suggestions
>too.
>This will be a fairly heavy feast, with chicken, beef and pork courses,
>a starter course and a dessert board.

The word "Landsknecht" literally means "land farmhand" so fresh fresh
early summer foods would be in order.  Making a big deal of the World
Premiere of the first summer berries, calloo callay!  A rainbow of stone
fruits should just be appearing by June.

The "Landsknecht" clothing style is known for combining many colors, the
more the better, so work that visual theme into the menu as well.
 Many-colored dishes of sauces, etc.

Selene