[Sca-cooks] Different flours, was Cookie Exchange

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 9 08:59:00 PST 2004

Well, rice is naturally sweet, so that could have an effect on how you are
tasting the sugars, although I'm not exactly clear on what you mean here.
The rice flour also doesn't produce the gluten which makes the long protein
strands that help with cohesion.  I find some rice flours better than
others, more finely ground (to a powder, basically) flours don't yeild the
sandy texture that the more rough-ground flours produce.
Are they good?
Christianna
also off of wheat and dairy and soy, etc. etc.

Greetings All,

I made a batch of oatmeal cookies this morning, using the recipe in The
Joy of Cooking and substituting rice flour for wheat flour and rice milk
for cow milk. I used butter as directed, no substitutions.

The cookies taste distinctly like the sugars, not merely sweet. They
also are astonishingly fragile.

I'd love to hear from the food chemists on the list about the difference
between wheat and rice flour behaviors in this context.

YIS,
MD/Marged
dairy and wheat free zone