[Sca-cooks] Drinks at feasts (was: what's wierd-ish, what isn't)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Nov 9 12:16:39 PST 2004

Hey, Doc, I was looking at your recipe for 'Lombard Mustard' on your
site:

http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/lumbard.html

And I'd like to hear more about why you made the choices you did.

The original says:

Source [Curye on Inglish, Constance B. Hieatt & Sharon Butler (eds.)]:
LUMBARD MUSTARD. XX.VII. V. Take Mustard seed and waishe it & drye it in
an ovene, grynde it drye. farse it thurgh a farse. clarifie hony with
wyne & vynegur & stere it wel togedrer and make it thikke ynowz. & whan
þou wilt spende þerof make it tnynne with wyne.

you redacted it:

    *  2/3 cup honey
    * 4 Tbsp. prepared mustard
    * 1/4 cup red wine

Mix ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a low boil. Simmer for
about 15 minutes. Serve warm.

What kind of prepared mustard did you use? How did that differ from
using musard seed, ground? Did you use prepared mustard powder or sauce?
Why did you opt to cook the sauce after the mustard was added?

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"In the clearing stands a boxer, A fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders Of every blow that laid him down
Or cut him till he cried out, In his anger and his shame,
'I am leaving, I am leaving' But the fighter still remains."