[Sca-cooks] Drinks at feasts (was: what's wierd-ish, what isn't)

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Nov 9 15:12:41 PST 2004

>While sekanjabin may be period for Islamic personas, it really isn't
>for the majority of Europe throughout most of medieval history.  I
>personally find it just as out of place as iced tea at feasts with a
>nothern European menu.

I believe Platina mentions oxymel, which ought to be something
similar. It might be worth some looking to see if some sort of
sweet+vinegar+water drink was used in parts of non-islamic Europe in
our period.

Has anyone experimented with watered wine? My impression is that it
was the norm through much of classical antiquity, and still common in
our period, but I haven't really looked into the question. If watered
enough, it gives a lemonade equivalent--flavored water.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com