[Sca-cooks] what's wierd-ish, what isn't

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Nov 10 12:31:18 PST 2004

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa asked about weird/normal foods in the opinion of
SCA audiences, including:

>Some things I think they might consider odd:
>- pea or lentil dishes
>- green pies
>- carrot/cheese pie
>- blancmange

I brought two different vegetarian pies to a shire meeting and
potluck and asked for comments. The two were Ember Day tart
(onions/cheese/eggs/currents/some herbs), largely yellow in color,
and a non-sweet version of Torta of Herbs in the month of May
(cheese/eggwhites/herbs/spinach juice), definitely green. The
reaction was that both were good but that the torta of herbs was more
unusual, and therefore the better pick for the upcoming feast. It in
fact proved to be popular--I didn't bring any home, although I
overcooked for the event.

The shire in question is Crosston in the West Kingdom, in
California's Bay Area, which probably influences what people consider
normal.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook