[Sca-cooks] Pinto cheese?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Nov 11 18:35:58 PST 2004

While I can't prove it, I suspect Pinto cheese may be a cheese once made in
Pinto, Spain (near Madrid).  The region is mostly industrial these days and
most of the old agricultural base is long gone.  There is another reference
to Pinto cheese in a poem from around the early 17th Century.

Bear

> I haven't been able to find a mention of this cheese anywhere.  Could it
perhaps be a mispronunciation/misspelling for a Catalan cheese named Picón?

> Picón, a close relative of Cabrales is made in the Cantabrian villages of
Bejes and Tresviso. The cheeses are soft inside, some spreadably and others
crumbly, and when cut reveal little galleries and caverns inhabited by the
greenish-blue mold which gives them their characteristic strong big complex
flavor.