[Sca-cooks] pie crust was what's wierd-ish, what isn't

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 11:00:07 PST 2004

Cailte wrote:
it's the way momma taught me. i realized that after i
sent. see what i get for trying to be a smart(*& 8)

speaking of pastry and pie crust.... i am about to do 700
small salmon pasties.

Yep, its the way my momma taught me too. And I, too was being a smart (*&8)!

 Unfortunately, I am not together enough to make more than 1 crust at time (she could do 2), and a pastry blender ("d-shaped" hand tool with lots of wires bent in half circle) is now my "weapon" of choice.

Although it makes me feel rather intellectually challenged to admit it, I can be a rather slow learner.  Originally for pasties, I was rolling out all of the dough and cutting it in circles with a salad plate.  Makes the dough awful tough when you rework it.  Tried adding sour cream and lots of thinks to make it flakier.  Finally learned to make a roll/log, cut off slices and roll each pasty crust separately.  Better crust.

I am sure you know that, but thought I would mention it out there in case we had anyone who didn't.  Although better (ie softer, flakier) crust is probably much less common in period, and I am not certain I am devoted enough to roll out 700 pasties individually.

Good luck with your pasties--all 700 of 'em ;0)

Samrah